Friday, July 3, 2009

Fight the Fear

I find that being a dedicated oil painter can be a dangerously reclusive game. It's so easy to get caught up in the smell of oil and the many colors, brushes, textures, preparation and then just painting. This is good, dedication, but I think all great painters need to live and find inspiration. Being connected is one of the greatest benefits. Every time I hang a painting I am exposing myself, "openings" are scary, always looking to see if I measure up (although we as painters are not supposed to compare because we are all unique) I must say that it is human nature to compare and no matter how much we say we don't... we do. I guess the solution must be damage control: to stop myself before I start. Are all painters afraid of rejection or ridicule? Maybe not, maybe so, but for me, I think that I need to have more faith in myself, be more confident. I would say that most people are kind, I have decided to get out and "do" more. To streak through the proverbial streets of creation exposing my paintings as much as possible, all of my nooks and cranny's.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get what you mean. Every time I hang a painting ... post a picture (that's easier) or hand over a painting to a client or gallery I feel like I am standing naked with my thoughts scrolling above my head in a neon marquee. Total exposure!

    ReplyDelete